Saturday, June 7, 2008

Village

It was my cousin’s marriage that I stayed at Kampong Kasar, our village, for a few days. The stay was truly a relaxing, peaceful experience. It also showed me how the village differed from the city I currently live at.

Everyday when I woke up, instead of bearing noises from crowds, motor vehicles and construction sites, I was delighted in melodies of birds chipping, breeze blowing and river running free. While in the night, I slept, listening to lullaby by the crickets.

Unlike concrete forest in the city, the village was surrounded by tall, green trees, which provided almost pure, clean air. Every breath I took was a refreshing one. It was also to them that the village had more breeze than heat. I could lie outside the house, under the sun, but still feeling pleasant.

As the dawn broke, I could actually see the sun rose majestically from the mountains. It was this hour that lights were visible in windows of the wooden houses. Then there were fumes coming out from the kitchens, which I believed were to prepare breakfast. It was not long before I saw figures coming out from the houses, hoes and other farming tools on their shoulders. If they were citizens, perhaps they were still sleeping by now.

Often, I went to the huge paddy, where the main crops were planted, in the village. Farmers were patiently planting the paddy in single files with their backs bent to the front. Three naïve children were pacing around the field quietly, hunting for crabs and fishes, some throwing mud to each other, waging a mud war, while others playing hide and seek. When it was noon, wives and mothers came to the field, food packages in both hands. The farmers and the children hurried towards the women and altogether, they dined. Watching this sight made me felt warm and settled down. It envied me a little for it is very rare in the city.

The villagers treated me with much hospitality and kindliness. I could actually talk to one of them though it was the first time we knew each other. They were willing to help me but asked for no return. This quality is totally absent among the citizens.

I went back to the city a few days later. The time spent in Kampong Kasar was to be remembered and perhaps when I needed a place to retreat, it would certainly be my first destination.


by-sacredsword

No comments: