Saturday, June 7, 2008

Past

I both like and dislike the past. For one, I hate it when most people judge me of what I have done in the past. There was once, when I was too naïve, that I accidentally hit a girl’s wrist, which I meant as a joke. I was then labeled as “psycho”, especially by the girls. Until now, whenever I approach a girl, she will think of the incident and if she ever talks back to me, she does in such way as if I am her sole enemy! The worst thing is even my new classmates, when they are told about the incident, start to take me as a sex maniac and avoid me most of the time!
Another reason why I don’t like the past is that it is filled with too many black memories. One of them is the incident I mentioned above. The incident itself was far enough to ruin my whole primary school life; I was alone back then. Recalling it makes me feel painful, both mentally and physically. And when I was in Fourth Form, there was this friend of mine whom I thought was very honest thus we became good friends. But my thoughts went wrong. He was good in front me, but behind me, he backstabbed me. The feeling of being betrayed really disappoints me.
Well, on the other hand, there are reasons why I do like the past sometimes. To me, the past is an excellent teacher. It teaches me that I should not take girls for granted and that they always have ways to cover with what they cannot do. Take the psycho incident above as an example. After what I did, the girls were really mad of me but they couldn’t just come forward and punch me. Thus, the best option to show their dissatisfaction was to mark me as an enemy for everyone. Furthermore, I learn that it is a norm for some people, not to say bad or good, to have two faces at the same time. These people I mean can be your very best friends only when you can see them. However, when you can’t, they will badmouth and backstab you as frequent as possible. These people, if I ever meet one nowadays, I will just ignore his or her existence.
Apart from being a good teacher, the past aids me in my journey to maturity. From the past, I can get useful experiences which help me to develop my thoughts, my actions as well as the way I deal with my problems. Once, I would cry if I made mistakes, then now I will think of causes of the problems and solve them in a rational way. I will also take my problems as obstacles that I must face in order to get better outcomes rather than choosing not to deal or running away from them.
The past really has much significance, both literally and figuratively thus, I will forever remember of what I have done in the past but not to live in it. This is important so that I will never repeat what I have done wrong just like what George Santayana said “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

No comments: