Friday, July 11, 2008

Video Games

I have to admit that I'm quite addicted to video games like they are already a part of my life. They were exposed to me since I was four, with Street Fighters as my most favorite. I remember I would drop by Grandma's and ask my uncles to have a fight or two everyday after school. I had to do this as Father was not paid enough to buy me my own gaming console, yet it was fun spending time with my uncles. After some few years, during late 1994's, Playstation One(PS1) came out, replacing the old cartridge-based gaming console. My sixth uncle bought this a year later and I was awed at the new technology. Fighters in Street Fighters were in 3-D! They could fight and move 180 and 360 degrees! I became more and more addicted and I guess this factor affected my UPSR results, which turned out to be only 3A's. I was down but luckily Mother decided to finally buy me a PS1, hoping that I would do better in the future. It was during this time that I was exposed to new video game genres; Role Playing Games(RPG), Survival Horror, Action Hack n' Slash, etc. The most memorable RPG's were the Final Fantasy Series, starting with the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth. The series offered an adventure game with plot made up of a variety of elements like politics, religions, philosophies, romance, friendship and of course, fantasy. No doubt that these games helped me in imagining or getting ideas to write nowadays. I tried not to have anymore addiction, it proved to be successful. With this, I got reasonable results for PMR and bought another Playstation Two(PS2). This system offered a larger choice of games, more importantly they're in correct English. I listened carefully and tried to speak, although only to myself, like those in the games, and this was how I learned my English. Despite improving the language, it gave me much satisfaction. I remember how I would stay up until 4 a.m. just to finish a game, it was really fun, though it sounds a bit stupid. Overall, I think video games are not childish if one knows how to choose the right titles and play them correctly.

No comments: